Saturday, June 30, 2007

Not So Simple

Flipping through the channels the other night, I landed on a PBS documentary that caught my attention.

The first scene I saw was of a preacher from Wyoming (stereotypical boots, hat, wranglers and all) shouting at a line of protesters and holding a sign declaring (what he presumed to be) the eternal destiny of all homosexuals (use your imagination, you'll probably get it right).

I cringed.

The next shot was of a priest (from the same community in Wyoming, but dressed in more traditional clergy attire) holding up a communion chalice and declaring to his congregation that Jesus excluded no one, but welcomed all at his table freely and openly.

I cringed again.

Those two scenes reminded me of why some Christians find it so difficult to engage in a meaningful conversation about homosexuality (or for that matter, any issue of morality/sin) in our culture.* Generally speaking, Americans are not people who appreciate nuance (and yes, I realize the irony in that sentence). We live in a culture that prefers to see things in black and white, either/or terms (think of the way issues are discussed on political talk shows). The obvious case in point is the PBS documentary: either you are a hate-filled, homophobic, hayseed or you are a loving, open, and tolerant. There is little (no?) room for middle ground.

But those of us with gay friends/family/co-workers know it's not that simple. We realize that there is a messiness here that may not make for good (or easy) television but is a very real part of life. So what does this messiness look like? If PBS were to come film us, what would they catch on tape? What does it mean to hold on tight to grace and truth?


* Self included--I hesitate to even publish this post for fear of being misunderstood.

** If you want to read about the messiness of our denominations' position on this particular issue, click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share your thoughts and sense of some frustration. The "gay issue" has never been one of black and white for me and after much discussion, thought, and prayer I have come to the point where I simply say homosexuality is not what God intended when he created us (and in most ways neither am I).We need to find ways to continue the dialogue.

Anonymous said...

Yes, continue the dialogue. We recently were informed that our 16 year old nephew was leaning toward a gay lifestyle. His mom told us, so he wasn't witness to our reaction.
I really can't tell you what my reaction was. I wasn't shocked by the news, but disappointed in the verification of questioned thoughts.
Is there a chance he will turn around yet? How do we pray for him and the rest of the family? Is there anything we can do/say to "fix" this situation?

Anonymous said...

Joel, thanks for bringing up this situation in this blog in particular. I don't have much to add but am glad that you question and challeng all of us Christians.