Tuesday, January 27, 2009

MLK Day*

On the evening of November 4th, 2008, I sat on my friend's well-worn couch, watching CNN as the tally came in. Colorado goes blue, Missouri goes red, Ohio goes blue, Montana goes red. Finally, at around 9 pm, the race was called. My friend--much more passionate about these things than I--cheered and raised his beer glass in celebration.

Of course, he wasn't the only one celebrating. That night in Chicago's Grant Park, thousands gathered to celebrate the victory of their hometown hero. When Obama took the stage and delivered his solemn speech, the cameras pulled in close on the faces in the crowd--many of them black, many of them weeping. After the speech, the commentators noted (as they have many times since) that Obama's election carries special significance in United States--a country where, a generation or two ago, it was still an open question if black people should have the right to buses and diners and public education now elects a black man president. Remarkable, they said.

And undoubtedly, it is. But I'll admit--the significance was lost on me. It's not that I don't have a clue about where America has been. I've read Fredrick Douglas and Zora Neal Hurston and Martin Luther King. I've been to a town in Mississippi that still has a cinderblock wall running down the middle of it--a wall that divided the white part of that town from the black part for years. But all that seems like ancient history to me. It's so easy for me to put on the blinders--too shut out both the world and the darkened corners of my own heart--and assume that racism is nothing but a relic of an ancient past.

Of course, it's not. Last week, a friend in another corner of the country was praying with a group from his church. One man--a leader in his congregation--spoke up. He started well. Dear God, he said, be with our new President and Commander and Chief. My friend murmered his ascent. But then things took a turn. God, we do not like his politics, his attitude, his religion, or his color...

President Obama carries the hopes and expectations of many with him into office. And today, I (along with many others) add one to the list: my hope is that he will help us all confront the prejudice that lies within, that he will help us see not just how far we have come as a nation, but how far we have to go. And I hope that, somehow, God will use him to help us all take a step in the right direction.

*A week overdue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know where to start about what is wrong with that prayer.

So sad.

So sad.

Anonymous said...

That prayer is not necessarily going bad if it concludes as the publican did and not the pharisee.....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I happen to be disappointed by his politics. But I can't comprehend the color conflict. But maybe color doesn't play as big a role in the country over-all, as it does in some people's lives. Those "some people" drive me nuts.

timmer said...

I would submit, after years working in a hardware store whose employees love sharing their racist jokes and while working with kids who have no scruples about sharing their ideas, that racism in America is much more prevalent than most people realize. The new mass media of the internet, blogs, IMs, twitter, and the like, (while helpful to society as a whole) are also spreading racist ideas and making them acceptable in a whole new way. Search the internet and see the new white supremacy movement: Now hatred can organize beyond one's own community. When your friend raised his beer glass in celebration...I'm sure he was raising it for more than Obama himself.